L-Għanja tal-Poplu 2016
- 1 Launching of the festival
- 2 Informative Meeting For Participants And Friends
- 3 Organizing Committee
- 4 Guidelines
- 5 Submission of Songs
- 6 Submissions Press Release
- 7 Preliminary Eliminatory Round
- 8 Second Phase
- 9 Jury Members were
- 10 Semi Finalists
- 11 Tickets Information
- 12 Compere
- 13 Semi-Final Jury
- 14 Semi-Final Interval
- 15 Finalists
- 16 Final Jury
- 17 Special guests
- 18 Winners
- 19 Other Winners
- 20 Presentation
- 21 Special Thanks
- 22 External links
Launching of the festival
The 40th edition of L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Festival Kanzunetta Maltija 2016 was a collaboration between L-Għanja tal-Poplu committee, Spazju Kreattiv, Arts Council Malta, Valletta 2018 Foundation and PBS.
Considering that the festival saw its beginning in Valletta, it was only natural that the 40th edition would be celebrated in the heart of the capital city, at Pjazza Teatru Rjal. During this edition, singers on stage were accompanied by the live PBS Orchestra led by Mro. Joe Brown and Mro. Paul Abela.
Songs were submitted at the Għanja tal-Poplu office, 227 Merchant Street, Valletta on Tuesday 19th April 2016 in the morning between 10.30 and 11.45 and in the evening between 18.00 till 21.00. Details and guidelines could be found on the website www.ghanjafest.com or on facebook www.facebook.com/GħanjaTalPoplu
Informative Meeting For Participants And Friends
On Wednesday 9 March 2016, an informative meeting was organised in Studio B at Spazju Kreattiv, St James Cavalier Centre for Creativity for prospective participants, about the fusion between L-Għanja tal-Poplu and Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija which commenced from this edition.
The programme included
- A video feature with short clips from L-Għanja tal-Poplu 2015
- Welcome by Josephine Ebejer Grech (PRO)
- Ecca Muscat who sang Ġismi - the 2015 winning song
- A detailed explanation on the festival's new framework and related guidlines by Josephine Ebejer Grech and Carmelo Schembri (Chairperson)
- Time For Questions
- President / Treasurer: Fr Maurice Mifsud
- Chairperson:Carmelo Schembri
- Secretary: Alexia Cutajar Conti
- Media Co-ordinator: Tony Micallef (PBS and Media)
- Co-ordinator: Noel D'Amato
- PRO: Josephine Ebejer Grech
Meetings were held between PBS, Spazju Kreattiv, Pjazza Teatru Rjal and YTC to identify the responsibilities of each stakeholder. Further meetings were held with Mro Paul Abela and Mro Joe Brown about the participation of the PBS orchestra and about the songs' musical arrangements.
These are the regulations for L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Festival Kanzunetta Maltija 2016.
1.1 The festival L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Festival Kanzunetta Maltija is a celebration of original songs in Maltese, interpreted and accompanied live.
This year (2016) the festival is organized by the L-Għanja tal-Poplu committee along with Spazju Kreattiv, the Maltese Council for the Arts and PBS. The PBS orchestra will be giving its part in this festival working hand in hand with the composers of the finalist songs.
1.2 The main objectives of the festival are:
- (a) to improve the quality of the Maltese song;
- (b) to create an opportunity for composers and authors to present their song to the Maltese public;
- (c) to continue helping artists find a growing audience for their song, even after the festival.
1.3 The festival includes four phases:
- (a) first eliminatory selection, where the best songs are chosen out of all songs submitted.
- (b) second eliminatory selection, which selects the finalist songs.
- (c) Semi Final night
- (d) Final night, which decides the winners.
2.1 To enter L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Festival Kanzunetta Maltija, songs must be:
- (a) original, that is the lyrics and the music have never been published;
- (b) in the Maltese language;
- (c) not longer than three and a half minutes.
2.2 The theme of the song is free and can deal with any subject. As the people's song - the Malta Song Festival, the festival encourages the writing of songs to express experiences, tastes, desires, relationships and both personal and collective aspirations, as citizens of this island and the world. The organisers recall that songs with a social theme do not necessarily pertain to a protest or negative tone, but could also interpret, say, major life values such as friendship and hope. The award for the best song with a social theme is different from the final results and the songs are not judged and rewarded on this criterion.
2.3 The musical style of the songs is free.
2.4 The songs will be judged according to the words and music and the connection between them.
2.5 Songs with a vulgar theme and / or including partisan propaganda are not accepted.
The Eliminatory Phase
4.1 For the purposes of these Regulations:
- PARTICIPANT means "a person or group who has a role in creating the song as author of verses or music composer".
- INTERPRETER means "person/s (male or female) who has a role in delivering the song to the audience". This includes singer/s or musician/s.
- SINGER means "a person / group who interprets song lyrics and music
4.2 The jury is composed of experts knockout people in the lyrics, the music or both.
4.3 The jury judging the eliminatory phase looks out primarily for the quality of the lyrics and melody of the songs and the connection between them, and not the presentation or their acoustic quality.
4.4 A song which has been selected as a finalist cannot be withdrawn from the final night or the official festival's CD.
The Final Phase=
5.1 The age of each participant and interpreter of a finalist song should be sixteen years or more until 7 July 2016.
5.2 In the final night a singer or a group can interpret up to two songs.
5.3 In the final night, the PBS orchestra will be available to those who want to use it. The participants of the final must declare who will accompany the song. There are three possibilities:
- (a) to sing and accompany the song themselves
- or (b) to sing and be accompanied by the full orchestra
- or (c) to sing and play an instrument/s and be assisted by the orchestra.
5.4 In the event 5.3 (c), the accompaniment is as desired by the composer. In the event of any difficulty, the organizing committee has the right for the final decision.
5.5 The backing vocals are to be provided by the participants.
5.6 A group/band can contain up to 7 elements, including singers.
6.1 Important dates and times:
- February 2016 - Festival Launch - Press Conference
- 19 April 2016 - Submission of songs
- 17 June 2016 - recording of the finalist songs must be ready
- 27 June 2016 - rehearsals at St James Cavalier Centre for Creativity (after working time)
- 3 July 2016 - rehearsals at Pjazza Teatru Rjal (evening)
- 7 July 2016 - Semi-Final night, Pjazza Teatru Rjal
- 9 July 2016 - Final night, Pjazza Teatru Rjal
6.2 Whoever participates in the festival has to attend rehearsals and final evenings.
7.1 The song performed in the final must be the same song, both lyrics and melody, which was submitted in the eliminatory phase. Corrections can be made after the eliminatory phase, but only with the approval of the organizing committee.
7.2 One must present and interpret the song in the most appropriate mode for the subject. One must note that any exaggeration in the movement, clothing, dance, mime etc. could only alienate the attention of the audience from the lyrics and melody, which are the core of the song.
7.3 The jury in the final evenings consists of persons versed in the lyrics, the music or both, and different from the jury in the eliminatory phase.
8.1 Trophies are awarded to the author, composer and singer/s of the three best songs. Cash prizes arfe as follows:
- €1,000 to the song classified in the first place,
- €600 to the song classified in second place,
- €400 to the song classified in third place.
8.2 The author and composer of the winning song L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Festival Kanzunetta Maltija are to retain the official trophy up to the festival's next edition.
8.3 Other awards include:
- A trophy to the author of the best social theme song,
- A trophy to the singer or group with the best interpretation,
- A trophy for the best young talent, and
- A trophy for best singer and €500.
Publicity and festival's CD
9.1 Publicity is given to the songs, participants and finalist interpreters on the media, radio, television and the internet. Participants are asked to co-operate as much as possible with the organizing committee to take the major benefit in this publicity.
9.2 The Centre for Creativity and PBS, responsible for the recording of the festival's broadcasting, have the right to broadcast these recordings for the purpose of promoting the festival. The song rights remain with the author and composer.
9.3 As every year, the festival committee publishes an official CD with all the finalist songs. The final version of the songs must be completed by Friday 17 June 2016.
9.4 The festival organizers have the right to include the songs finalists in the festival CD and sell it.
9.5 These regulations are subject to changes by the organising committee. The committee's decisions are final.
Submission of Songs
To submit a song in the festival, one did necessarily need to enter into costs of a recording studio. One could just record the voice accompanied by a live instrument for the eliminatory phase, reducing the costs for the artists. Then, songs which proceeded into the finals needed a professional recording. Each applicant received two free tickets for the final night.
Submissions Press Release
In a Press Release issued by the organising committee, it was announced that a total of 144 submissions were received. The record number of original songs was expected as this year two festivals have joined forces (L-Għanja tal-Poplu and Festival Kanzunetta Maltija) under the auspices of Spazju Kreattiv, the Public Broadcasting Services, Pjazza Teatru Rjal and Fondazzjoni Valletta 2018.
The first phase of the eliminatory phase took place on Friday 22 April and Saturday 23 April, with a panel of expert judges choosing the best songs. These were shortlisted further by a second panel of judges who selected the 18 qualifiers.
- See Press Release in Maltese: Submissions Press Release 20 April 2016]
Preliminary Eliminatory Round
On the 26 April, the organisers of L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija announced that the first jury chose the best 40 song provided below in alphabetical order:-
|01||Anġlu tas-Skiet||11||Ħanini||21||Kelma li Ma Ngħidx||31||Pupa Tal-Plastik|
|02||Bħal Tifla Żgħira||12||Hemm Futur||22||Kuraġġ||32||Ta’ Bil-Lejl|
|03||Bit-Tikketta||13||Ħsibijiet||23||Le Ma Nerġax||33||Tama|
|04||Dak Li Nisma’||14||Id-Dieher||24||L-Għadu Tiegħi||34||Taptipa Fuq L-Ispallejn|
|05||Delli Tqil||15||Il-Biża’ u Jien||25||Ma Ninsiex||35||Tibqa’ Anġlu|
|06||Eku Mill-Belt||16||Illum||26||Mellisni||36||Tibża' Xejn|
|08||Għanjiet||18||It-Tifel tal-Ktieb||28||Normali||38||Waħdi Miegħek|
|09||Ħabta u Sabta||19||Jien Biss||29||Ottimista||39||Xagħar Twil|
|10||Ħallejt il-Passi Wrajk||20||Kantali Waħda||30||Paġna Ġdida||40||X’se Jsir?|
On Sunday 8 May 2016, the 18 finalists were selected.
|01||Bħal Tifla Żgħira||Rita Pace||Marco Debono|
|02||Ħabta u Sabta||Andy Muscat||Mark Scicluna|
|03||Ħallejt il-Passi Wrajk||Paul Ellul||Glen Vella|
|04||Ħanini||Walter Micallef||Walter Micallef|
|05||Id-Dieher||Augusto Cardinali||Augusto Cardinali|
|06||Il-Biża' u Jien||Rita Pace||Pamela Bezzina|
|07||Is-Sinjur||Emil Calleja Bayliss||Mark Scicluna|
|08||Jien Biss||Joe Julian Farrugia||Dominic Cini|
|09||Ma Ninsiex||Joe Julian Farrugia||Augusto Cardinali|
|10||Mellisni||Joe Chircop||Mark Spiteri Lucas|
|11||Ngħidlek||Joe Julian Farrugia||Miriam Christine|
|12||Pupa tal-Plastik||Paul Ellul||Marco Debono|
|13||Ta' Billejl||Paul Ellul||Mark Spiteri Lucas|
|14||Tama||Shyli Cassar, Jasmar Cassar, Kapitlu Tlettax||DJ Mac David Leguesse, Shyli Cassar|
|15||Taptipa Fuq L-Ispallejn||Emil Calleja Baylss||Pamela Bezzina|
|16||Waħdi Miegħek||Ingrid Vella||'Kaya' Priscilla Giordano Psaila|
|17||Xagħar Twil||Ingrid Vella||Mark Laurence Zammit|
|18||X'Se Jsir?||Corazon Mizzi||Corazon Mizzi|
Jury Members were
Inchange of the Jury were the PRO Josephine Ebejer Grech
0n Wednesday 8 June 2016, the singers of the 18 semi-finalist songs to perform on Thursday 7 July, 2016 were announced. 12 songs will reach the Final Phase to be held on Saturday 9 July, 2016.
Tickets were out for sale at the St James Cavalier Centre for Creativity. Tickets for semi-final were sold at € 8, while those for the final night cost € 12. Block tickets for both nights were sold at € 15. Tickets were also for sale on ticket hotline www.kreattivita.org or Tel: 21233200.
A CD compilation containing the final songs was forwarded to local radio stations by Tony Micallef.
The Judges for the Semi-Final on Thursday 7 July, 2016 were:-
After all 18 songs were performed on stage, The Gozitan band The Travellers sang a few numbers from their EP as well as their new single Xemx Jew Xita. Television links were also transmitted from the green room where the particpants were awaiting the results.
Following are the 12 finalists who performed on the 9th of July 2016.
The Judges for the Final Night on Saturday 9 July, 2016 were:-
The special guests in L-Għanja tal-Poplu 2016 - Festival Kanzunetta Maltija 2016 for the Semi-Final Night were The Travellers, while Kantilena and Ecca Muscat, the winner of the 2015 edition, were guests on the Final Night. Moroever presenter singer John Bundy performed the 1995 winning song Pajjiż tal-Miki Maws as its writer Martin Attard was awarded with L-Għanja li Tibqa' posthumously. His daughter Desiree Attard received the award from Noel D'Amato from the organizing committee. On her part, she presented the guitar her father composed Pajjiż tal-Miki Maws on to mp3 representatives Enrique Tabone and Andrew Pace.
|No||Singers||Songs||Lyrics||Composer||Video - Youtube|
|01||Corazon Mizzi||X'Se Jsir||Corazon Mizzi||Corazon Mizzi||(click for video)|
|02||Neville Refalo||Ta' Billejl||Paul Ellul||Mark Spiteri Lucas||(click for video)|
|03||Mikaela Bajada||Mellisni||Joe Chircop||Mark Spiteri Lucas||(click for video)|
|*||Best Young Talent||Jurgen Xerri||Ħallejt il-Passi Wrajk||(Click for Video)|
|*||Best Interpretation||Nadine Fenech||Il-Biża u Jien!||(Click for Video)|
|*||Best Singer-Songwriter||Corazon Mizzi||X'Se Jsir||(Click for Video)|
|*||Best Social Theme||Paul Ellul||Ta' Billejl||(Click for Video)|
- Executive Producer – Daniel Azzopardi
- Production Co-ordinator – Justin Galea
- Producer of the show – Gordon Bonello
- Production Assistant – Josette Darmanin
- Technical Director – Charles Dalli
- PBS Orchestra Directors – Mro.Joe Brown, and Mro.Paul Abela
- Logistic Co-ordinator – Noel D'Amato
- Administration – Carmen Callus
- Stage hands – Mark Grech, Anton Miceli and Raymond Mugliett
- Poster Design – Jimmy Grima (Tiny Island Studio)
- Publication – Government Printing Press
- Public Relations – Pierre D'Amato
- Photographer – Elisa von Brockdorff
- Trophies – Paul Haber (Alka Ceramics)
- Festival Theme – Jason Paul Cassar, Sunny Aquilina
- Cd Production – Organizing Committee L-Għanja tal-Poplu
L-Għanja tal-Poplu Festival Editions * 1970s: 01 (1973) - 02 (1974) - 03 (1975) - 04 (1976) - 05 (1977) - 06 (1978) - 07 (1979) * 1980s: 08 (1980) - 09 (1981) - 10 (1982) - 11 (1983) - 12 (1984) - 13 (1985) - 14 (1986) - 15 (1987) * 1990s: 16 (1990) - 17 (1992) - 18 (1993) - 19 (1994) - 20 (1995) - 21 (1996) - 22 (1997) - 23 (1998) - 24 (1999) * 2000s: 25 (2000) - 26 (2001) - 27 (2002) - 28 (2003) - 29 (2004) - 30 (2005) - 31 (2006) - 32 (2007) - 33 (2008) - 34 (2009) * 2010s: 35 (2010) - 36 (2012) - 37 (2013) - 38 (2014) - 39 (2015) - 40 (2016) - 41 (2017) -