L-Għanja tal-Poplu 2014
A new visual identity was introduced for the contest by Darren Tanti, who created a new logo encompassing live music and singing with other elements that have become synonymous with L-Għanja tal-Poplu.
Tickets at €10 and €8 were available from the Y.T.C. office in Valletta and online from ticketline.com.mt.
The night opened with a short medley of Maltese well known songs.
The original song submission date for this edition was extended to Friday 31 January 2014.
Awards included trophies and a prize of €1000, €600 and €400 respectively for participants placing first, second and third respectively. Another trophy and €500 were the prize for the best singer-songwriter.
71 songs were submitted for consideration in the preliminary round. On Saturday 1 February, a panel of 5 judges selected 16 songs for the final night. The preliminary round jury members were:
Following are the 16 original songs in Maltese which have made it to the final, where both vocals and music were performed live.
- Organizer: Fr Maurice Mifsud
- Chairperson:Carmelo Schembri
- Secretary: Alexia Cutajar Conti
- Co-ordinator: Noel D'Amato
- PRO: Josephine Ebejer Grech
- Robert Alosio
- Vince Fabri
- Rosabelle Bianchi
- Eric Montfort
- Elaine Falzon
- Kevin Farrugia
- Maria Abdilla
- David Azzopardi
- Dr.Paul Callus Notary
During the interval, Il-Kor L-Għanja tal-Poplu performed with Justin Galea, Corazon sang three songs from her CD album Hawn Jien. It also included a mini musical highlighting great moments in the history of Malta with the participation of Il-Kor L-Għanja tal-Poplu
|No||Singers||Songs||Lyrics||Composer||Video - Youtube|
|01||Karen DeBattista||Jien Ma Naħdimx||Rita Pace||Mark Scicluna||(click for video)|
|02||Frank O'Neill, Christabelle Curmi & Il-Lajks||Kif Xrobtuli l-Menti||Frank O'Neill||Frank O'Neill||(click for video)|
|03||Miriam Christine & Olivia Lewis||Wara l-Kanċell||Joe Julian Farrugia||Miriam Christine||(click for video)|
- Best Young Talent: Denise Spiteri for Pupa written and composed by Mark Laurence Zammit
- Best Interpretation: Christian Arding
- Best Singer-Songwriter: Frank O'Neill for Kif Xrobbtuli l-Menti
- Best Social Theme: Rita Pace for Il-Quċċata sung by 7 Spadi and composed by Jeffrey Scicluna
Prof. Olivier Friggieri presented the trophies to all the winners.
The winning songwriters were given the opportunity to participate in similar festivals abroad under the auspices of the World Association of Festivals and Artists - WAFA
A CD compilation containing the final songs was forwarded to local radio stations by Tony Micallef.
- Graphic Design:- Darren Tanti.
- Photos: Geoffrey Buhagiar.
- Trophies Designe: Alka Ceramics designed by Paul Haber.
- Stage Design: Studio Seven.
- Sound & Lights: Studio Seven.
- Television Direction: Jason Busuttil
- Filming: One Productions Ltd
- Postcard: Media Centre
- Stage Hands: Mark Grech, Anton Miceli, Raymond Mugliett.
- Official website
- L-Għanja tal-Poplu on Soundcloud
- Diversity in our native language Review by Eric Montfort, The Malta Independent, 17 March 2014.
L-Għanja tal-Poplu Festival Editions * 1970s: 01 (1973) - 02 (1974) - 03 (1975) - 04 (1976) - 05 (1977) - 06 (1978) - 07 (1979) * 1980s: 08 (1980) - 09 (1981) - 10 (1982) - 11 (1983) - 12 (1984) - 13 (1985) - 14 (1986) - 15 (1987) * 1990s: 16 (1990) - 17 (1992) - 18 (1993) - 19 (1994) - 20 (1995) - 21 (1996) - 22 (1997) - 23 (1998) - 24 (1999) * 2000s: 25 (2000) - 26 (2001) - 27 (2002) - 28 (2003) - 29 (2004) - 30 (2005) - 31 (2006) - 32 (2007) - 33 (2008) - 34 (2009) * 2010s: 35 (2010) - 36 (2012) - 37 (2013) - 38 (2014) - 39 (2015) - 40 (2016) - 41 (2017) - 42 (2018) -