MMI 2007 Listeners' Picks Poll
The MMI Listeners' Picks poll aims to establish the top favourite releases of the year among the weekly Mużika Mod Ieħor podcast listeners.
A list of music from Maltese recording artists released in 2007 was compiled by Toni Sant for his second annual MMI Listeners' Picks poll. This is not a fully comprehensive list of 2007 releases; Toni Sant has always admitted on his podcast and blog that he is somewhat selective - but the scope has always been to include as many titles as possible at the nomination stage.
There were five categories on this poll: 'Online Music Videos' was introduced this year, joining 'Albums', 'Singles + EPS', 'Internet Releases', and the 'Maltese Based Overseas' categories. Links for each of the video as they appeared on YouTube were also provided through the voting pages.
The total number of titles nominated this year was 112, with 26 albums, 22 online releases, 19 overseas-based, 13 videos, and 32 singles/EPs.
Nominations were gathered between 14 September and 26 November 2007, based mostly on tracks played on the weekly MMI podcasts. However, several recommendations by podcast listeners were also included.
|Click on the link to the right to view the full sortable list of nominees for 2007:|
Voting opened on Monday 26 November 2007. All votes were received via Facebook for the very first time, through an app developed specifically for this purpose by James Attard. Among other features, voting through Facebook helped control multiple votes from the same person/s. This Facebook app also introduced the one-vote-per-category concept, which not only minimized unfair multiple voting but also ensured that every voter also voted for an entry in all categories.
- WINNER: Scream Daisy by Scream Daisy (4 votes difference)
- RUNNER-UP: Fortune Teller by Ira Losco
- TIED-WINNER: Forza Malta (B'Għajta Waħda) by Xtruppaw
- TIED-WINNER: Jack the Ripper by The Rifffs
- WINNER: Pretty by Scream Daisy
- RUNNER-UP: Marigold by Winder Moods
- TIED-WINNER: One In A Million by The Characters
- TIED-WINNER: Marshmallow Girl by Dean Saviour
- WINNER: Electrophant (EP) by Mathematikal
Toni Sant had this to say about the MMI poll in 2007: "It gives me great satisfaction to say that the MMI 2007 poll does not involve some convoluted jury nor is there any money making scheme from SMS voting. Taking full advantage of the power of the Internet we've placed the emphasis on the people who really matter to any musician: the listeners, or, to call them by their proper name, the fans. If you're a Facebook user you can vote. That's it. No gimmicks, no scams." 
- MMI 2007 Listeners' Picks - from Toni Sant's Blog
- 2007: A Year in Review - Toni Sant reviews Maltese music in 2007
- MMI podcast # 96 - featuring the 2007 Top Picks