Jean Claude Vancell
Jean Claude Vancell is a Maltese singer-songwriter and music producer from Żebbuġ. Born on 13 August 1987, he debuted his career at the 2004 edition of VOICES singing Elton John’s ‘Sorry Seems to Be The Hardest Word’ with Petra Micallef and Andrew Barberi. He then progressed to play the part of Aladdin in an original musical by Penny In A Hat Theatre, ‘A Lad In Love’ in 2006. He achieved commercial success in 2008 when his track ‘Contradiction’, made it through to the semi-finals of the Malta Song for Europe. The song received significant airplay following the contest.
He progressed to releasing radio singles and is still active in the local scene to this day. Jean Claude performed his hit track ‘Ain’t Good Enough’ at the 2009 Bay Music Awards where he was nominated as Best Newcomer. He is active in participating in the annual Strummin’ concerts organised by the Young Christian Workers. He is a part of acoustic band Akustika (2009 to present) and formed part of trio Ellipse (2011 to 2013).
Jean Claude is a frequent blogger on escflashmalta.com, reviewing albums released by Eurovision artists. He is also the founder and editor of Strummin’ Artists (www.strumminartists.com) - a website dedicated to all the people who are involved in the annual Strummin’ concert. Since 2012, he rejoined the VOICES choir after an absence of 6 years.
On 16th May, 2023 Jean Claude Vancell made it to the Final Night of the 47th. Edition of the L-Għanja tal-Poplu 2023 with the song Monokrom lyricist and composed by Jean Claude Vancell himself. The Final Night will be held on Saturday 5th. August, 2023. At the at the Pjazza Teatru Rjal in Valletta. He win the price of the Singer Song writer.
- Contradiction – (2008)
- Heartbreaker – (2008)
- Say (You Really Want Me) – (2008) (Highest Chart position – 6)
- Together in Diversity (feat. Jessica Muscat) – (2009)
- Ain’t Good Enough – (2009) (Highest Chart position – 6)
- Music Box – (2011)
- April Symphony – (2011)
- Superhero – (2013) (Highest Chart position – 3)
- When The City Lights Turn Blue – (2013)
- Parachute (with Akustika) (2011)
- Pure Shores (with Akustika) (2011)
- We Found Love (with Ellipse) (2013)
- Superhero (2013)
- Need You Now (with Ellipse) (2013)
- Best Male Artist at Malta Music Awards 2009 (Nominated)
- Best Newcomer at Bay Music Awards 2009 (Nominated)
- KSU Singer-songwriter competition (Placed 3rd in 2009, 2010, 2011)