L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Żgħażagħ 2019
L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Żgħażagħ 2019 will be held on 15 March, 2019. With the same aim as last year. The singers will be accompanied by a live ensemble chosen from Malta Concert Orchestra. The organizing committee will publish guidelines in early October and the date of the submissions will be songs to early December 2018. The songs must be no more than three minutes.
The rules of the festival can be viewed in Maltese on the  website.
L-Għanja Tal-Poplu Committee
- Organizer: Fr Maurice Mifsud
- Chairperson:Carmelo Schembri
- Secretary: Alexia Cutajar Conti
- Co-ordinator / P.R.O: Noel D'Amato
- Member: Mark Grech
- Production Manager:
- Assistant Adminstrator: Anton Miceli
The organizing Committee was the L-Għanja tal-Poplu with the collaboration of the Producation team of San Benedittu College composed by Michael Bondin (head of school), Keith Scicluna (teacher), Romina Mamo (teacher) and Kevin Zerafa (technical Assitant).
L-Għanja tal-Poplu Żgħażagħ 2019 (5 th.Edition)
L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Żgħażagħ 2019 is a Festival of original songs by Maltese interpreted by young people and accompanied live.
This year (2019), the festival is organized by the Committee, L-Għanja tal-Poplu together with St Benedict College of Ħal-Kirkop with the support of the Ministry of Education and the Academy of the Maltese. The Malta Concert Orchestra of Pjazza Teatru Rjal is offering a group of musicians will accompany the songs under the direction of Mro.Paul Abela and Mro.Joe Brown acting in collaboration with the composer of the finalist songs.
01) L-Għanja tal-Poplu It is assisted by the Maltese Council for the Arts – Cultural Parnership Agreement.
1.2 The main objectives of the festival are:- We give an opportunity to young people attending secondary and schools to participate in a festival in which they express the aspirations, the ħolm and their experiences; something which is not possible in the festival the għanja tal-People because participants must be over 16 years of age;
Incourrage young people to concern themselves in original writing and interpretation of the Maltese song quality; Creating an appreciation of the Maltese song among young people and the general public;
2.1 To submitted in the festival, the songs must be:
- 1. Original terms of Music.
- 2. Never been aired or published on CD
- 3. Original Lyrics
- 4. Sung in Maltese in understood words
- 5. Not more then three (3) minutes long
2.2 The theme song is free, so that it could be on any subject. We remaned that the festival encourages writing songs to express experiences, tastes, desires, relationships and aspirations both personal and collective, youth
2.3 The music style of the songs is free.
2.4 The songs will be judged according to the lyrics and the music and the link between them.
2.5 Persons involved in the selection of songs as well as directors of the orchestra can not take in part in the production of songs that will be submitted at the festival.
2.6 The same composer and author together, can not have more than two songs on the final night.
The Submission of Songs
- 3.1 One can put more than one song for eliminatory phase.
- 3.2 The song will be recorded on a CD. The words must be understood and it is accompanied as it will reflect melody of the song at the final stage.
- 3.3 For each song must be presented separate A4 envelope containing:
- (a) Recording of the song on CD, which contain only the name of the song,
- Track 1. The Song
- Track 2. The Backing of the song only, which may include the backing vocals.
- (All material including CDs will not be returned. Participants must keep a copy.)
- (b) Ten copies of the lyrics, written in Maltese;
- (c) The application for participation, participants, signed by the author and composer, and the name of the school, or secondary school of music or joy where attending participants.
- (d) Contribution fee of €50. (given the reduction in the event that it proved that there are financial difficulties)
3.4 The envelopes of the songs will be received in the Office tal-Għanja tal-Poplu at 227, Merchants Street, Valletta, on Tuesday, 27 November 2018 from 10:30 - 12:30 and from 17:00 to 20:00.
The choice of the winning songs consists of three phases: The first stage is eliminatory sorting semi finalists; the second phase which heard the semi-finalists to sing them live selecting the finalists. The finals phase , where heard the finalist songs, and announced the winners.
4.1 The first jury will chooses the finalists will be made by qualified people in the lyrics, the music or people able to judge Maltese songs. 4.2 The jury judging primarily the quality of the lyrics and the melody of the songs and the link between them
5.1 Each interpreter of song presented on the final night of the festival has / has he / she attended / attend media or secondary school (Form 1 to Form 5).
5.2 On the final evening singer / or group can / can interpret / to interpret two songs. Singer brief two songs for the final can optionally request that the song is interpreted by singer / a / others.
5.3 On the final evening, a group of musicians from Malta Concert Orchestra will accompany the songs. The directors of the orchestra, Mro Paul Abela Mro Joe Brown will offer to do the musical arrangements for each song in agreement with the composer of the song. This will be done free of charge.
5.4 Within weeks of the finalists are announced, the song composer has or (a) providing the piano score of the song to the organizers, or (b) provide musical arrangement for orchestra in agreement with the orchestra managers.
5.5 If participants feel the need, can provide some additional tools at their own expense, and in agreement with the directors of the orchestra. This must be done with the approval of the organizers to see that everything is technically possible.
5.6 Backing vocals provide the participants. Permits to four backing vocals if needed.
5.7 Song which has been selected as a finalist can not be withdrawn from the final night of the CD or the official festival.
7.1 The song sung in the final must be the same song, with lyrics and the melody, which is filed in a knockout. Corrections and improvements of the song, can be made after the first knockout with the approval of the organizing committee.
7.2 While one should present and interpret the song in the most appropriate mode for the subject, recalled that the exaggeration in movement, in clothing, in dance, in mime, etc. could alienate the attention of the audience from the lyrics and the melody, which are the core of the song. therefore not permitted dance teams or players during the songs. It is important to understand the words while singing and the lead singer of the song message.
7.3 The jury in the final evenings comprise versed in the lyrics, the music or both, along with jury young age.
7.4 The rehearsals and final festival will be held in the St Benedict College theater.
The awards include Recognition to the finalists who participated in the festival.
- Trophy winners / a category 11-12 years
- Trophy winners / a age category 13 to 16 years.
- Trophy The Carol Young People given to singer / a / s winning song and kept for years.
- Promotion opportunity for singer / a / s rated song in the first place. (Will announced later)
Publicity And Cd Of The Festival
9.1 The songs, the participants and finalists interpreters publicity given to the media, radio, television and the internet. Participants are asked to cooperate as much as possible with the organizing committee for this publicity can be made optimally.
9.2 The Song People have the right to continue to broadcast and publish these recordings. The song rights remain with the author and composer.
9.3 The festival organizers have the right to include songs finalists in the festival CD and sell CD.
These regulations are subject to change by the committee's Song People. The committee's decisions are final.
The festival jury's L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Żgħażagħ gives its brands and decide with the utmost freedom and without interference by the organizers
Your part in this festival should be a positive experience for your career. So we encourage you to participate. If you have any questions or difficulties, please contact us using the on għanjatalpoplu@gmail.com email. On our part, will keep you updated / a with what is happening through  website and facebook: [ghanjatalpoplu]
If you have any friends who might be interested to take part in the festival, encouraged them to participate.
- Guidelines © L-GĦANJA TAL-POPLU (2017-2019)
The festival is supported by Carol People with St Benedict College, Opera Theater Square, and in collaboration with the Maltese Academy and Youth Agency.
The Song of the People is assisted by the Maltese Council for the Arts - Cultural Partnership Agreement.
The Semi-Finalist of l-Għanja Tal-Poplu Żgħażagħ 2019
Here are the 24 Semi-Finalist Songs
|01||Bla Ma Rrid||Emma Cutajar|
|04||Ftakru||Charisse Ann Vassallo|
|05||Fuq Bandla||Krista Sujak|
|06||Għoxrin||Martina Galea Loffreda|
|07||Ħaġar Qim||Gianluca Cilia|
|08||Ħamra Nar||Elisa Andrea Muscat|
|09||Ħorrox Borrox||Jasmine Farrugia|
|11||Iljun||Amber Grace Scerri|
|12||Imħabba Żagħżugħa||Gislaine Mifsud|
|13||Jonqsok Biss il-Kliem||Kacey Azzopardi|
|15||Kull Deni Ħudu B’Ġid||Klara Vassallo u Leon Bartolo|
|17||Li Ma Kienx Għalik||Luana Schembri|
|19||Oħt il-Għerf||Eksenia Sammut|
|20||Qegħdin Sew!||Kayley Cuschieri|
|21||Seħer it-Tfulija||Leah Cauchi|
|22||Stenbaħt||Mychael Bartolo Chircop|
In the semi-final stage of the songs will be sung live before a jury, Monday 10 December 2018 in the evening, where the 24 semi-finalist song selected the finalists will take part in the final stage.
Annouced the 16 Finalist
These are songs that have been selected finalists for the final evening of l-Għanja tal-Poplu - Zgħażagħ 2019, which will be held on 15 March at Theater St Benedict College at Ħal-Kirkop. Opening of the Festival (Click for Video)
Finalists songs by running order order these:-
Here are the 16 Finalist Songs
The final of The Young People Carol being held on Friday 15 March 2019. In the end the singers will be accompanied by a selection of elements from Malta Concert Orchestra.
The Seven expert jury was composded by on the live show:
- Christine Gauci
- Andrew Vella
- Mario Debono
- Luke Agius
- Norman Cristina
- Matteo Depares
- Nathan Schembri Rogers
Under the osservation of Notary Dr. Paul Callus
During the intervall, until the results could been known, their performance by the winners of l-Għanja tal-Poplu Żagħżagħ 2018 Aidan Jay Drakard and Eliana Gomez Blanco with the song 'Dwell' (Click for Video) by Emil Calleja Bayliss and music by Dario Bezzina. Beside that as a special guest was Christabelle Borg the winner of the second edition way back at 2006 with the song 'Aċċetani Kif Jien' (Click for Video) by Christopher Azzopardi and music by Mark Spiteri Lucas.
In this edition where two prizes, one from The average school From 1 and Form 2, and other prize from school Form 3, 4 and 5. and the Overall winner who get the highest votes wil be dicaled the Winner of L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Żgħażagħ 2019. (Click for Video)
School From 1 and Form 2 winner
|01||Gianluca Cilia||Ħaġar Qim||Emil Calleja Bayliss||Philip Vella||(Click for Video)|
School From 3, 4, 5 winner
|01||Martina Galea Loffreda||Għoxrin||Corazon Mizzi||Corazon Mizzi||(Click for Video)|
The Overall Winner of L-Għanja tal-Poplu - Żgħażagħ 2018.
|01||Gianluca Cilia||Ħaġar Qim||Emil Calleja Bayliss||Philip Vella||(Click for Video)|
The fifth edition of the Għanja tal-Poplu Żagħżagħ will be held on Friday 15th March at the theatre of San Benedittu College, Ħal Kirkop. Young teenagers will sing 16 original songs accompanied by the Malta Concert Orchestra of Pjazza Teatru Rjal directed by Mro Joe Brown. The first winner of this festival, Christabelle Borg will be the special guest singer.
- Violins 1st. Antoine Frendo, Augusto Quintano, Christabelle Scerri, Graziella Mizzi, Odile Micallef and Sarah Tanti
- Viola Miriam Haidon, Michelle Borg
- Cello Gilmour Peplow
- Sax Alto Alfred Debattista
- Sax Tenor Ray Zammit
- Trumpet Joseph Chircop, Roger Azzopardi, Jonathan Abela
- Piano Carlo Bugeja
- Keyboards 1 Heathcliff Balzan
- Keyboards 2 Josef Farrugia
- Guitar Evan Plumpton
- Bass Guitar Joe Vella
- Drums Joe 'Bibi' Camilleri
- Percussion Luke Abela
Pjażża Teatru Rjal (PTR)
- Christopher Muscat - (Director of PTR)
- Joe Piscopo - (Bord Member of PTR)
- Mro.Joe Brown - (Condactor of Orchestra)
- Mro.Paul Abela - (Condactor of Orchestra)
- Emanuel Spagnol - (Orchestra Condinator)
- Charles Aquilina - (Technical Ezecutive)
- Dorothy Camilleri - (Administration and Operations Office)
There were several persons incharge of this producation, and one could mention:-
- Keith Scicluna, Romina Mamo - script and managing the theater.
- Noel D'Amato, Mark Galea, Anton Miceli - Stage Management.
- Kevin Zerafa - Technical perparation
- Sergio Costa - Sound
- Andrew Zammit - Designe and lights Operater
- Michael Bondin - Head of Secordary School]]
- Keith Schembri - Educator
- Romina Mamo - Educator
- Kevin Zerafa - Technical perparation
- Marie Claire Cremona - Poster design
- SnapArtPhotography - Photografer
- Committee Għanja tal-Poplu - Cd and program
- Best Print Co Ltd. (Program printer)
- TheTinkShoo.com (Duplication of Cd)
- Paul Haber (Trophies)
- Horace Enterprises Ltd (Mementos)
- Charles Schembri - (Webmaster)
- Frank O'Neill - (Opening tune) 'Leħen Wieħed'
Filming, Trasmition Tv Production
- Martin Mercieca - Director
- Halo Pictures - Fliming and montage on postcardes and prodaction of adverts
- Brandon Zammit - Grafic of postcard and introdaction adverts
- Emotive Media - Fimling and montage of interviews
Importants Appointments of this Festival
|01||Tuesday 2 October, 2018||Published Guidelines for L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Żagħżagħ 2019 on www.għanjafest.com/żgħażagħ|
|02||October, 2018||Answering questions where there is difficulty. Responses are published on the www. għanjafest.com/żgħażagħ|
|03||Tuesday 27 November, 2018||Receipt of applications and songs|
|04||2, December, 2018||Selected semi finalists|
|05||Monday evening 10 December, 2018||Heard the selected songs interpreted live to choose the finalists|
|06||Begaining January, 2019||Informativ meeting with the finalist. Photos and video session|
|07||Friday 15th. March, 2018||At 11.00am The first part of the final in front of audience of young students from schools. Young Jury|
|08||Friday 15th March,2018||Final Night will open to the public. An expert Jury.|
N.B:- hose who will participate in the festival must be willing to attend for rehearsals and final evenings.