Mons. Carmelo Xuereb served as Vicar General for the Archdiocese of Malta for the latter part of the twentieth century.
He was born in Gozo on 5 July 1916. Xuereb studied at the Seminary and was ordained priest in 1941. He became archpriest of il-Kalkara Parish in 1943 and, together with Archbishop Gonzi, he worked hard to build a new Parish Church for Kalkara. He was appointed Floriana archpriest in 1960.
He was member of the Religious Broadcasting Authority between 1962 and 1964, member of the Board for National Feastivities between 1964 and 1966, member of the Board of Directors of King George V Hospital and Assistant Director of the Catholic Institute from 1968 to 1970.
In 1968 he was appointed member on the Bord of Directors of Il-Ħajja and in 1971 he became the editor of Leħen is-Sewwa, published weekly by the Catholic Institute. In 1970, he was appointed head of the Council of the Administration of the Cathedral Chapter and Archbishop's Delegate for Female Religious. He was also member of the financial diocesan council to the Archdiocese.
He was secretary of the College of Parish Priests between 1948 and 1996. He was also installed Canon of the Cathedral Chapter, archdeacon and vicar-general.
Because of his long service to the Church, he was named Prelate ad hominem and Pronotary Apostolic and was also awarded the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice. He was also nominated Chaplain of the Sovereign Order of the Knights of Malta.
He died on 18 June 2005 at the age of 89.