Ħaż-Żabbar, one of the oldest villages, was raised to the status of a City just over two centuries ago. Żabbar is a residential town situated on the South East of Malta. Its origins are obscure in antiquity, but the population of the area became relatively significant enough to gain parish status under the patronage of Our Lady of Graces way back in 1615. Another milestone in the history fo Żabbar is the elevation of the village to the status of a city by Grand Master Ferdinand von Hompesch on 14 September 1797.
On that day, the Grand Master decreed that the city be named Graziosa Citta Hompesch. In spite of the fact that this locality has now become a major town and developoment is taking place all along its outskirts. Żabbar today is still a peaceful and quiet town surrounded by cultivated countryside and a stretch of unspoilt rocky beach overloooking the Mediterranean Sea