Għaqda Mużikali San Ġiużepp (Għajnsielem)
Għaqda Mużikali San Ġiużepp (Għajnsielem) traces its origins back to 1925 when the 'Casa di San Giuseppe' (St. Joseph’s Institute for orphans) opened its doors in Ghajnsielem. The founder was Monsignor Ġużeppi De Piro, a figure, now as then, of national importance. About 3 years later in 1928, at an unspecified date he was seen arriving from Malta with a big parcel in his hands. This parcel contained the first musical instruments, which were going to be used by the yet unborn St. Joseph Band.
The young musicians went from strength to strength and the villagers started to take note of the new Society in their midst. The new band soon showed its mettle by taking part in several feasts and other occasions. It took part in the feasts of St. Anthony and Our Lady of Lourdes (both at Għajnsielem).
In 1931, it moved out of the village’s orbit for the first time to take part in the festivities connected with the Sabina Church in Victoria. By the beginning of the Second World War, the Band was performing in all Gozitan feasts, On the 30th July 1937 it took part in the Comino feast as well: a celebration most sought after by the villagers of Għajnsielem.
With the falling of the first bombs and the macabre wail of the sirens, the Band stopped playing. The War brought with it the end of the first part of the Band’s history. Years passed. One generation followed another and by the mid sixties the youths of the village began to talk about re-founding the village’s Musical Society.
In May 1966, Ġużeppi Attard together with some other enthusiasts, made a formal plea to the Director of the Institute for the use of the Institute and the old Society’s musical instruments. This plea was granted and the St. Joseph Band was born once again. This was the start of a new era for the “St. Joseph Musical Society” Under an energetic young maestro, the new band progressed beyond recognition during its first years. Every year the band was strengthened with a crop of bright new students that never dipped below forty.
In 1970's many members felt that it was time for the St. Joseph Band to cut off its connection with the institute and built its own premises. By 1975, a new premises in the heart of Ghajnsielem was functioning and immediately became not only the musical centre of the community but also a social and cultural club.
Today, the St Joseph Band is proud to have a record of over 50 bandsman and 20 students all of which hail from Għajnsielem.
|01||Mro. Antonio Muscat Azzopardi||1928||1930|
|02||Mro. Mikiel Farrugia||1930||1946|
|03||Mro. Ġianni Vella||1946||166|
|04||Mro. Joseph Farrugia||166||1992|
|05||Mro. Joseph Nazzareno Sammut||1992||2002|
|06||Mro. Sunny Galea||2003||2013|
|07||Mro. Frankie Debono||2013|
|02||Ġużeppi Galea Rapa||1934||1968|
Band Activities Overseas
Historical Events in which the Band participated
Song Festivals, Events or Drama Activies
Annual Musical Activities
Recorded releases (LPs, Cassettes and CDs)
|No||Name of Cd's||Year||Marches||Funeral Marches||Waltzes||Others|
|01||Funeral Marches - Marċi Funebri mill-Għaqda Mużikali San Ġiużepp (Għajnsielem) (2000)||2000||*|
|02||Funeral Marches - Marċi Funebri mill-Għaqda Mużikali San Ġiużepp (Għajnsielem) (2007||2007||*|