In the centre of the main island of Malta, the village of Ħ'Attard, famous for its citrus orchards and gardens.
As a municipality with its own local government structure since 1994, Attard covers a surface area of about seven square kilometres and has a growing population nearing 10,000. From Ta' Qali side it is adjacent to l-Imdina and Mosta, and nearby the area of Ta' l-Idward joining with Misraħ Kola, across from the valleys of Wied San Martin, Wied Incita and Wied Irmiedi.
Attard is bounded also Wied is-Sewda, and on the side of Ħal Lija, lies the area known as Ta' Fġieni, which borders on the village core. On the South their is the Sant'Anton quarter, so named for the San Anton Palace and Gardens.
Of interest are the tombs and prehistoric remains dating back to 3,000 B.C. found in Attard has the highest rate in population growth in the Maltese Islands, as well as a high rate of social mobility, with a record number of teenagers attending university.
Attard was declared a parish in 1575, and from 1579 had its first parish priest. The first important buildings to be erected were chapels – some of which were bumbed in 1942. The parish church dedicated to the Assumption of Holy Mary began to be used in the first quarter of the seventeenth century.
The design of the church is attributed to capomastro from Attard Tumas Dingli, perhaps on a plan by Vittorio Cassar. Among the works of art found in the church there are paintings by Francesco Zahra and others.
In 1676 Attard was stricken with plaque, hence the devotion to Saint Rocque in the chapel of Saint Ann (presently being used by the society for Catholic doctrine.
The plague after 1670 killed 10% of Attard’s population. In those time Tal-Providenza cemetery, in Triq il-Belt Valletta (Triq Notabile) was used, which then was the the outskirts of the village.