Mro. Chev. Alfred P. Hare
Mro. Chev. Alfred Porkiman Hare was born in Valletta in 1865. He attended school at the Mdina Seminary and began his musical studies aged 16. It was evident from the beginning that Mro Hare was a brilliant student, since h had won a scholarship and furthered his studies in the Conservatorio Musical San Pietro a Majella in Naples.
The progress registered in these years was notable, and at 20 years of age he was already appointed director of the Posillipo Band. Following examinations of his compositions by popular musical directors such as Rossi and Falcone, he was certified as being qualified enough to be appointed musical director of any band club.
In 1885, Mro Hare went to India where he was appointed Maestro of a number of local bands, especially military bands. In India, he was popular for a concert made with a band made up of 200 elements. Mro Hare returned to Malta in 1903 and was appointed musical director of local bands, such as Soċjeta Filarmonika King's Own of Valletta, Duke of Connaught Own Band Club of Birkirkara, Prince of Wales Own of Vittoriosa, Soċjeta Filamonika La Stella Band Club of Victoria, Gozo, Soċjeta Filarmonika Pinto Banda San Sebastjan of Ħal-Qormi and also Għaqda Każin Banda San Filep of Ħaż-Żebbuġ.
He is also popular for the enormous number of musical compositions, but the most popular were the symphony Rec, the symphonic march Flangar non Flector and the hymn A San Domenico. Mro Hare also possessed a personality which permitted him to have a great number of friends. He also knew to speak a number of languages and thus the Government appointed him an interpreter in the law courts. Mro Hare died in 1932, aged 67 years and is buried in the Addolorata Cemetery in Paola.